Working together to bring hope & healing to Midcoast Maine!
Midcoast Community Alliance, “MCA”, is a community coalition serving Sagadahoc County, Brunswick, Harpswell and Wiscasset, which promotes mental health awareness with a vision to end suicide.
In July 2016, after another loss of a young person to suicide, the Bath Youth Meetinghouse & Skatepark organized a meeting with five local organizations to address the high rates of depression, anxiety, and suicide found within our community.
By the fall, the Midcoast Community Alliance had grown to include nearly 75 people from 34 different organizations all working together to reduce mental health stigma, to encourage help seeking and, ultimately, to be a suicide-free community.
Encouraging Healthy Community Dialogue
In April 2017, we hosted A Call to Action for Suicide Prevention in partnership with Bath Police Department & NAMI Maine. With over 125 people in attendance, we began an important community conversation about how we can work to support those who are hurting so they can find hope and healing.
YOU MATTER Events
We have hosted 3 surprise YOU MATTER events at middle & high schools in RSU1, after learning that only 49% of students felt like they mattered to their community.
Youth Mental Health First Aid Training
We partner with Mid Coast Hospital and NAMI Maine to offer Youth Mental Health First Aid trainings in the community. We work to educate parents and adults who interact with teens, to identify and respond appropriately to a teen in crisis.
Adverse Childhood Experiences
We collaborate with Maine Resiliency Building Network to hold community trainings on Adverse Childhood Experiences, to become a trauma-informed community.
Awards & Recognitions
MCA and founder Jamie Dorr have been acknowledged with:
- 2017 Volunteer of the Year Award from the Bath YMCA
- 2017 Community Builder award from United Way,
- 2017 Caring About Lives Award from the Maine CDC
- 2017 Citizen of the Year Bath, Maine
- 2017 Portland Press Herald’s 10 Mainers We are Thankful For
- 2017 Spirit of America Foundation award from the Sagadahoc County Commissioners
- 2018 Paul Harris Award from the Bath Sunrise Rotary
- 2018 Volunteer of the Year Award from Maine Parks & Recreation Association
- 2018 Community Project Award City of Bath for Set for Success
- 2018 20 Outstanding Women in Maine from Coast 93.1
Stay Up to Date
Get news, updates & more from the Midcoast Community Alliance.